Skip to main content

KFG Check-in Agenda

Published onJul 04, 2019
KFG Check-in Agenda
·

June 28, 2019

Core items

  • Knowledge Futures Group Non-Profit

    • Trademarks: start registration process (PubPub: by the book w/ MIT)

      • Talk to Jessica Traynor — setting up non-profit and trademarks

  • KFG Convening: Invite for October 21

  • KFG narrative: StoryThings Workshop, August 5 or 6

    • Variations by context:

  • Patent overlay: III (Sloan) : Oversight meeting July 16. [<1pm?]

    • Public language + website next week (work out Lens SOW)

  • UL data consortium: Pursue example ideas w/ Jessica T + LK

    • (can work w/ core staff vs a variety of lawyers)

Project updates

  • Pending Pub contracts (small to large)

    • Contract signing: currently w/ the Press. Insurance, counsel

  • CredCon + WP : Nov 9-11 in Stata. Ideas for speakers?

    • NYT:AG / Judiciary:? / Ass:Esp (ping EmilyBell+) / TWu

  • Grant notes
    Arcadia: MITP —> OA (starting in ~1mo)

  • HHMI: Board review soon

Partial language:

Building infra for ‘after the fall [of the wall/current system]’
Explicit CERN + [www] support
Advancing K and science broadly : beyond academia, publishing, people vetted a certain way. [contra: journ, which is a different sort of K]
Blow up academic pub, higher ed, how research institutions work [tools for each part] —-> ‘and btw this also affects patents, news, more’
Wall coming down: building landing pad/replacements. Avoiding just killing what came before. [nb: also builing sth that is non-comm; for-prof less sustainable. here world-funding makes sense, indef]

June 21, 2019

Core items

  • Patent underlay: Sloan grant approved! (for 2y): a 5-institution collab; our piece is JWW+Lens, w 2 dedicated devs.

    • Update next wk; Chat w/ Jess P about publicity; hiring for db + data roles

  • Design: Update on convo with Matt Locke @ Storythings (meet next wk)

    • Giorgia @ Pentagram (will send ideas next week)

  • KF non-profit: Convo with Cameron Neylon (open ended)

  • Funding: Peter’s roundup of funding opps/progress

Ongoing projects

  • APA Proposal (submitted) We should hear soon.

  • PITUN Proposal (submitted)

  • UL: CIVIC Media demo: updating project plan today w/ Aviv, Sandro

  • UL consortium: interest from Apple; memo in drafting

  • Wiki + Credibility Conference: Nov 9-11, in Stata

    • KF track. Small event sponsorship needed.

  • Weekly notes: test a public version next week! (after the meeting)

  • Meetings next week:

    • Mission/Messaging (see working doc here.)

    • Business model discussion (see my email with example docs)

    • Convening planning

      • Update and add additional suggestions here.

News and notes

  • convo with Dan Whaley re. IOI

  • ORCiD?

  • eLife Labs: Blog post invite. Guidelines.

Events

  • Summer KFG event!

  • lunch w/MITP staff - July 10th? (demo HDSR & v.6)

  • upcoming: Liz Allen (F1000) on 7/9 @ 10:30a and Geoff Bilder (CrossRef) on 7/12 (TBD)

  • we have responded to CFP from OASPA (Copenhagen, mid-Sept.) FORCE11 (Edinburgh, mid-October); UKSG (next spring in Brighton, UK); Charleston due on 7/12.

  • Biomed workshop at the NAS, July 11-12; should we send a KFG rep?

June 14, 2019

Core items:

  • KFG structure + outputs.
    Membership: for governance + funding?
    Affiliates: Goldsmiths

  • Design + viz chats next week?

Ongoing projects

  • PubPub v6 looking good, on target for release next wk

  • Innovation: Prior Art v2 aiming for release in 2 wks (Dell, EMC)
    III first meeting of participants next week

  • Summer interns : +2 via Quest.

  • CultureGAN: Museum + Quest support (Antonio Torralba as PI, unlimited computing resources).

  • 1-pager (PK) for Mon: OSP/PITUN (to MIT) - Fellows, here + w/ partners?

News and notes

  • NYPL and data commons

  • AAS Bulletin : Look at Mars doc; Set up demo

  • Amy’s SK interview (Already got a PubPub referral from it!)

  • Iowa State is in for a first community (and later institutional license)

  • APA proposal (due Monday!)

  • Funding avenues: MacArthur grant analysis; CZI science infra proposal (via J.Evans); John Giannandrea data-syndic thoughts; Hewlett O2020 - infra sub-conversation

  • Storytelling: OL videography support

  • UL: our IEEE Knowledge Graph interest group was approved - providing an easier way to collab w/ other IEEE programs for the next 2y.

Events

  • AUP recap \./

    • Consider competition re: place in market, paid / non-open content?

    • Open tools+platforms (+ defaults) vs open-only uses

    • Contrast w Direct (which is aggregate subs


June 7, 2019

Core agenda

  • Meeting: fork weekly meeting, to implementation + strategy?

  • Proposal: Fighting predatory publishers

  • Proposal: Civic Media overlay (in rev. this week w/ Dan Schultz)
    —> finalize timelines + budget next week

  • Pub launch: Annotation (crossover: MITP Reader)

Ongoing projects

News and notes

  • PubPub APA RFP

  • AAS opportunity for the Bulletin (call Monday)

  • HDSR prep/progress

  • Recently met: dot (prototyping).

  • sharemyarticle.org

Events

  • AUP next week

  • KFG convening soon (Heather + Peter)


May 31, 2019

KFG

  • Marketing Hire

Underlay

  • News: Internet Archive’s TV News consortium: yet another
    Civic + UL + Internet Archive

PubPub

  • HDSR

  • Codetree

Events

May 24, 2019

KFG

  • Travis/Terry/SJ’s meeting with Morgan and Bill Strong (MITP lawyer)
    Re: KFG/KFF (c)3 entities; trademarks, clarity of message

    Who are our primary beneficiaries? Transforming institutions; benefitting researchers+the world. Platform for others vs idea-generator.
    Bottom-up social enterprise vs IOI?

  • Qs for KFF and Yarn:

    KFF <—> MIT KFG : how does this work, if KFG is within MIT?
    Yarn <—> KFG: maintaining accounting and budget for now
    Yarn ease: getting the MOU signed? Ask Barack + J for ideas.

    Impact?

    KFG documents: (to draft)
    Consortium: Define how other KFGs join (to ease faculty engagement)

  • Landing page design - Prompt pub

Underlay

  • Open Knowledge Network workshop at AKBC 2019
    ~ RPI: building underlayers, to test (Deb McGuinness, James McCusker)

  • Scholarship: James Evans (UChi)
    ~ Iterating on our NSF proposal w/ Danny —> Dario T at CZI. This wknd

  • Patents:
    ~ Board review in 3wks. Gathering SOWs. NBER meetings this summer
    ~ McCallum lab + Julia Lane @NYU + Schmidt Data Fellows may join in

  • Prior Art: ingesting +30k docs from Dell + EMC.

  • News: CIVIC + Internet Archive

    News + video annotation (Roger MacDonald): building crowd layers
    ~ RM was already working w/ Mike Jiang (in Andy’s lab) - Danny to talk
    ~ Claire + Chris: possible proposal + demo this summer [Sandro, Aviv]
    ~ HINTS progress: demoable (seed w/ conspiracy hashtags, find 5 separate networks)

PubPub

Events

  • SSP Sponsored session: Landscape scan (May 29)

    • What’s the status of this data? Let’s make a layer of it

  • F11: Peer review session? w/ JATS + Transpose

  • Roundtables around the landscape?


May 17, 2019

KFG

  • LPF recap

  • Direct costs (esp. travel) for FY19/20

  • Elsevier response

  • Resource devel (Peter Kaufman): where to focus our efforts?

    • OL / Open — led by {H,Mac} + meeting 4x this yr — IOI links?

    • Sloan — consortial projects: a sustainable model?

  • Marketing Hire Update - aiming for EOM (A/M)

Underlay

  • UL:Heidelberg ‘node’ - PubPub backup + replay tools

  • IEEE Industry Connections

  • Citations - Artifacts chat; advisory role for WoS replacements (summer)
    Future feeds of nano-authorship/CREDiT data

  • Badging - w/HHMI & eLife (local nodes - summer & fall)
    eLife Editorial experiments now: we should advise. embo+biorxiv

  • Patents - Sloan / yarn grant framework.

PubPub

  • update on v6/demo

  • Goldsmiths contract

Events & Outreach

  • Proposals due for:

    • Force11

    • UKSG

    • Charleston

  • I Annotate: Heather and Gabe presenting and running workshop.

  • SSP: MIT sponsored session on landscape scan (John Maxwell)

  • Daniel Hook available to meet w/KFG 7/17

  • Moby convening (Heather to coordinate w/PK; schedule for fall?)

  • Travel docket (constraint satisfaction . . .)

  • HS presenting at ISMTE on August 2 (PubPub)

  • HS presenting at ALPSP, Sept. 11-13 (FrankenBook)

  • eLife Innovations Blog Post (info to come from Emmy Tsang)


May 3, 2019

Chat w/ Reid

Slides on GDrive. Notes in a pub.

Other updates

Landing page draft: https://kfg.mit.edu/pub/lm755t0m/draft

April 26, 2019

KFG

Underlay

  • An Underlay Architecture published

  • Patents: Sloan call @noon about Yarn

  • News: CredCo/NYU proposal (for news indicators)
    CIVIC meeting Tue in NY

  • Schol: Unpaywall + Artefacts.ai support

PubPub

  • scheduling PubPub monthly meetings through end of CY

  • latest dev

    • collections

    • v6/branches/discussions

    • new pub design

  • ASSOCIATION + CHOP need contracts

  • HHMI badge proposal sent

  • April recap:

    • Smart Enough City

    • Hacking Life

    • Knowledge Unbound

    • Open Access

    • Reading the Comments

    • JoDS issue 5 complete

    • JoDS issue 7 CFP published

    • OKI open review closing on May 1

    • Chomsky tribute

  • May launches:

    • Wikipedia @ 20

    • Collective Wisdom WiP

    • Annotation EKS for open review

Events & Outreach

  • Report out on ML Members’ Meeting //

  • Heather: convening a major KFG event (roundup our advisors?)

  • LPF week of May 6th

    • team day on the 8th (Heather to arrive midday) [John Maxwell there!]

    • Shipping booth materials and flyers for attendee welcome folders on Tuesday

      • KFG card, WiP card, swag

    • Will travel with iPad

    • What else do we want/need?

  • Continuing AUP outreach

———
asides//

  • Query + assertion examples : one for data; one for schol articles + documents

  • Present breaking out of the system — those using/supporting the system don’t get to be part of design.

    • deploy + implementation

    • explain how we’re structured beyond a demo: capacity for real use, once it starts to scale [ex from PP over Ny]

    • note fast feedback loops for actual use //

  • MA:Impactful, evidence-based, feasible, transformative ::

    >worth solving?

    >sufficiently ambitious?

    >urgency in addressing the problem in 5-6 y? does the proposed solution expect to solve it then? is there a pathway through partners?
    >does the proposal rely on known implementation?
    >does the team have capacity and depth to sustain efforts even if key members leave budget and plans align? key partners to execute at scale? anticipate w/ risks such as political and econ market shift?
    >advanced a cogent vision of the future; solution if successful have transformative and sustained impact?

  • Why us / why now?

  • opportunity to levergae change via higher ed and libraries (w/ growing vacuums)

    • ex: top N ML papers haven’t been clinically validated: no incentive

    • no ML people in f.nws. pubs/promotions no longer in gear

    • dev in various fields hitting walls

  • catalytic point: Elsev weakness; uni interest + coord.

    • how many shots on goal are appropriate?

    • not that many people keen on this (yet) —-> get cycle from OPh

    • tech detail in the prop is val: OA is missing the point; open questions/challenges

    • investment by (who) in (which futures)?

  • Describe PubPub as an overlay (and how we do backup of PP data, how you know it’s stored loclly on your home computer)

    • European local requirements is another prod for federation

________________________________________________

April 19, 2019

KFG

  • review / prep for meeting with Joi & Reid on the 3rd

    • Qs to ask: collective funding pools? cf SCOSS (EU), government funding pools (w/commitment), ORF funding alliances (w/o a commitment), role of a KFF in channeling.

  • we have a subscription and API access to Dimensions (who besides SJ would like access?)

    • Gabe would!

  • Heather setup on email, slack, and discourse

Underlayers

  • Science: NSF short proposal in w U.Chi’s Knowledge Lab

  • Patents: final proposal submitted (Innovation Information Initiative). (IEEE community looking into potentially being available as future sponsor, if fiscal sponsorship turns out to be a bottleneck)

    • Prior Art Archive: Dan and Justin starting this week. Migration plan.

  • News: Claire Wardle on fake news —> TED talk this week (for a Wikipedia of Trust); public pitch Apr.30. Summer fellows/interns?

  • Grants: Jeff Ubois has a layer of grant data— From the [great] 100+change proposals, which deserve reuse, including for future prediction. In town Tuesday, meeting w/ me and JWW & giving a public talk.

  • Art: 100k stage-2 NEH proposal on art provenance [‘Towards a complete history of art’] being submitted by collaborator Anne Luther.

PubPub

  • HHMI/PRT/Review Stack/Review Badges

  • SIGGRAPH contract/Ars Electronica pub!

  • PNAS collaborative syllabus

  • OUP with Alex Flach

  • CNI

  • HDSR progress

  • Iowa State Digital Publishing mtg

    • Curtis Brundy — MIT 4/24

  • Association

  • Annotation EKS open review

  • New WiP on OA

  • Potentially hosting report that comes out of this on PubPub

    • Also asked to be one of the reviewers, but we’ll see

Events + Outreach

  • DPLAfest: Snuck coasters into evening reception. Warm welcome + response to PubPub talk (many first time testers).

  • Open 2020: May 20-21 at MIT (CC, WP, MacArthur, us)

___________________________________________________

April 12, 2019

KFG

  • Reid presentation check-in

  • Arcadia funding MITP monographs going OA ($850k)

  • HHMI meeting takeaways and follow-ups

    • Someone should attend April 24 MIT anthro publishing meeting (Amy will be there; TE will attend morning session). Many from HHMI meeting will be there. Will be good to follow up.

    • PRT/Review Badges/Review Maps with Jessica, HHMI, Coko, others

  • MITP Management Board: need data points on work accomplished since 1/1; updated stats (# of communities, analytics, &c.)

    • May 14th. Drafts by April 26th.

  • IEEE: early interest in having a KFG (via Josh Gay)

Underlay

  • Distributed data / emergency backup on PubPub for EU

  • Dan Schulz / Justin Reese starting Tuesday on PAA

  • HHMI + Barabasi lab interested in open citation graph for understanding impact/usage

  • Patent data collaborative grant submitted. (w/Joi, JWW, Lens, NBER)

  • Unpaywall demo & discussion, Artefacts discussion

PubPub

  • HDSR progress

    • Collection and metadata launch

    • HDSR design work & dataviz (Accurat underway)

  • SIGGRAPH contract

  • PNAS Demo

  • Distributed data / emergency backup on PubPub for EU

____________________________________________________

April 5, 2019

  • May 3 Meeting (Reid + presentation) : slide review
    ~ Look to demoing at member week (a useful deadline)

  • Open Syllabus Project — instance of a global knowledge good
    ~100k/y to maintain? much shared overhead w/ other GKGs
    ~Imagine optimizing for unis + research + coursereg, letting others tune for publishing + aggregation.

  • HDSR

  • UROPs + interns — need profs to host.

  • NSF proposal — first pass

Calendar in April/May

HHMI — Gabe in DC, presenting
April 7/8 — CNI in STL, Travis
April 10-12 — CA at ACRL
April 15 — Ian arrives forever
April 17-19 — DPLA : CA, Terry, SJ
April 22-24 — Member week @ ML
May 3 — internal presentation @ our Friday meeting
May 7-10 — PubPub team in Vancouver for LPF
May 22-23 — iAnnotate, DC


March 29, 2019

Organization

  • Message + roadmap: planning through April. KFG+KFF

    • Meet w/ Reid May 3; Member week ~April 25

    • Current work: state + forecast

    • Vision: how we see the environment. Essential contexts: OA, Reliability,

  • People

    • Heather Staines

    • Dan Schultz (BIF) — starting on Prior Art ~Apr 10

    • Interns/UROPs — Jabari (UL), Keertan (News)

    • Open positions + Interviews?

  • Advice + Consortia

    • Virtual/physical meeting: April 24?

    • Review our own membership in existing orgs

Projects

notes for the record, even if we don’t have time to talk through ^^

PubPub

Underlay

Spec design this/next week
Advisee GlobalFactSync got $70k grant this month.
Open Knowledge Network approved as NSF ‘accelerator’ project. "
> We should submit a 2-pg Research Concept Outline by April 15.
> related workshop planned for May 23 @Amherst w/ Chaitan, Guha

Innovation + Discovery

Prior Art: Dan S + BIF start work on the site in 2 wks. ~1 yr contract.
> Xerox + MSFT joining. Listing initial advisors on the site next wk.

Patent layer: Sloan grant update (1, 2) includes this + LensLab.
> Looking for a co-funder. Talking to Shuttleworth.
> NBER planning an annual summer gathering

Scholarship layer: Unpaywall interested in joint proposal for an open web of science. Also Laszlo Barabasi @ Northeastern.
> Drafting proposal, looking at current initiatives.

March 22, 2019

KFG

  • Fiscal sponsorship / hiring / non-profit status?

    • Grants via Yarn?

  • Message

    • Describe the future of journals, peer review.

    • Describe the future of creating knowledge: confs, etc. (gather rants from catherine o, others —> instant metajournal!)

    • point to good sci/nature papers on (bio on wp)

    • see 2 recent ones from HHMI+. badges, societies… incrementalism.

    • publish 3 interlocking papers: platform, UL, peer review, ML impact (cutting-edge fields), CC + ? — engage James. Combine provocation + tradition.

    • Metadata + syllabi + other. [casebooks! JamesG]

  • Badges : —> fold into KFG [explicitly link w/cc, openbadges?]

Underlay

  • Patents: Sloan grant —> Cover sheet, drafting proposal, administration form. Fiscal sponsor needed. Options: Yarn, MITP? Barak suggests considering separate (KFG) non-profit status, takes ~1 yr to process and another yr to build public visibility.

  • News+Credibility —> Craig N supporting wikicite/credcon (Nov 10-12) —
    3 days, 300k? Have 200k in sponsorship, looking for another 100 (for global participation). Using Hacks/Hackers as fiscal sponsor

  • Automated Knowledge-base Construction: Workshop w/ NSF May 22

  • Meeting with FHI / OpenPhil (date?) [sj - Talk to Carina ++ this weekend]

PubPub

  • Where to put revenue?

  • Where to hire?


March 15 , 2019

KFG

  • Reporting: Q1 report due by 3/31

    • Pitch deck for Joi/Reid due TODAY (review)

  • Pub sites: Set up PubPub site for MITP staff; OKRs and strategy

  • People: Amanda Moore: meet w/ her next Wed with Gabe

  • Outreach: Swag decisions. Heather update?

    • table drape? pop up banners!

    • UL highlight + pens

  • ACRL booth (April 10 - 13, send swag, maybe a person)

Tactics:
How to advise MIT and others considering leaving Elsev?
What’s the right setup to host our own version of WoS?

Underlay

  • Patents: Data Collaborative meeting w/ James + Matt Marx

    • Prior Art: Dan starting April 15

  • Scholarship disambiguation: Lazlo Barabasi + his analytics team want to help replace Web of Science, running disambig toolchains.

  • Cite workshop: ~April 25

  • News: Duke Tech & Check (automation) w/ Dan Schultz M.28-29

    • Advisor chats: Cyndi Stivers; Jeff Jarvis + Raju Narisetti

PubPub

  • Quarterly meeting next week (Thurs)

  • Dev updates

  • Strong Ideas

  • Backlist: Progress on this (Suber) [process for this?]

    • https://openaccess.pubpub.org/

    • https://knowledgeunbound.pubpub.org/

  • OUP

  • Michael Rogawski book/service

  • Collective Wisdom


March 8 , 2019

KFG

  • Hiring status (Heather, marketing)

    • Roadmap for partnership dev?

  • Do we need more swag in advance of upcoming meetings?

    • Yes, we’ll figure this out in time for DPLA Fest

  • Our new address: 11th floor (all squared away?)

  • Funding sources (above and beyond Reid)

  • KF Consortium/Foundation

    • Goldsmiths - Kember

    • RISD - John Caserta

    • Meet Jessica Trainer ++ re: hiring into Yarn/ Labs

  • Open to statements/press around independent tools ecosystem (Atypon, Elsev)

Underlay

  • Schol: Sloan grant draft submitted for second review. 6 ppl/2y
    PI decision: Joi, Joe J? Sort w/ jww: how closely it’s in Joe’s sweet spot.

  • PAA: Bad Idea Factory, potentially starting in April
    Start adding ML art

  • News: Civic Proposal to JTI+CredCo

  • 1-pg overview of tech structure for replacing metadata framework

  • W3C Workshop on Web Standardization for Graph Data happened

  • Compiling a technical bibliography

PubPub

  • John Maxwell has reached out to Travis

  • Let’s iterate on Advisory Board, dates for on-site meeting: June?

  • Michael K. OUP book

  • Chomsky tribute moonshot (90th birthday fete); launch by 04/13

  • DH Journal developments

Events

Monthly check-in/travel schedule:
+ Mar (Tech & Check @ Duke (Mar 24) w/Dan) NB: got travel support for HINTS
+ April (DPLA: Advisor mtg late April?)
+ May (MITP board mtg)
+ June (Group — advisors. Reid?)
+ July


March 1 , 2019

KFG

  • Hiring status (Heather, marketing)

  • Standardizing site copy for MITP, ML, KFG (ongoing, status?)

    • CA: spoke to Lorrie about ML updates. We’re not able to get everyone into their system, so we’ll move to list everyone as part of the KFG description on the page and remove the separate “people” dropdown

    • Site-design update: small contract w/ new designer by Mar 14; spec out for quotes?

  • As per meeting btw Catherine and Sarah Kember on 2/27, Goldsmiths Press would like to develop a satellite ‘KFG’ under their auspices

    • CA: Sarah to join KFG AUP panel (June 11-13) and to visit after the conference to discuss this idea. Would make sense to have a call with her before then, too.

    • Potential model from {Internet & Society} centers: biannual meeting of all centers, annual shared newsletter, shared gatherings at global conferences

  • Wiley? How much to attend to a response?

    • Gabe: 3mo away from a comfortable, confident response

    • SJ: Is there a publicity opportunity now? Name the developing space, and the fact that in addition to consolidation of some tools, there is a growing ecosystem of fully open ones maintained by {unis + non profits} —> can nameheck PubPub, Distill, Coko work.

    • Plan: Name the space, promote enviro scan w/newsletter, plan series of posts

Underlay

  • Advisory group (meeting Cyndi ~March 14)

  • Credibility: Wiki/CredCon 2+ days in late Nov. Venue: BPL? MSR?
    $100k pledged in event funds so far (CUNY + Newmark)

  • Schol: Next proposal update this weekend.

  • Library of Congress digital strategy: revert to Danny+Joi this wknd

PubPub

Events

  • R2R: went well. OA books workshop could have been more productive (lots of complaining, little idea generation), but did end with the intention to create a working group or new meeting about OA books. Thoughts on how KFG could potentially participate or help support this.

    • Also, this conference would really benefit from using PubPub during the proceedings. Will approach the organizers about doing so for next year.

  • Joel @ W3C Graph Databases meeting Sun-Tues

  • Tech&Check: News credibility, March 24-25 @Duke. Elan P will go.

  • DPLAFest: Catherine+Terry: Strong ideas! SJ: WikiCite


February 22, 2019

KFG

  • Debrief on meeting with Arvind re: Distill

    • Could we offer some service component? Hosting, viz?

  • Re-lo to 11th floor (Geranium) confirmed for 3/7-8

  • Proposed process for deciding on partners/grants (edit in linked pub!)

  • Standardizing website copy across MITP, ML, and KFG sites

Underlay

+Interviews: Gwen; and Dan (prior art product); Sandro Hawke (news/cred)
+Shifting towards having overlay pages for individual communities (Scholarship, Patents, News + Trust, Citations, Art)

PubPub

  • Hiring: Mo’s status

  • Anna Yudin (Katie’s email)

  • Ian onboarding this week

  • Water bottles - anecdote for the calendar

  • New “bind” in Allbooks for PubPub projects

Events

  • Monthly technical cred + prov meetup: SJ + Sandro

  • Late Fall Wikipedia+Citations+Reliability conference: SJ + J8 + Andrew Lih, possibly in Cambridge (looking for venues).

In the network

  • Jessica P is sharing the draft PRINTS spreadsheet for review today (index of tech specs for peer review @ different journals)

  • Heather Staines is visiting for lunch! We should share a partnerships JD


February 15, 2019

KFG

  • AAAS activity + reception w/ OL

  • Impact Lab updates?

    • Going forward, but timing TBD. Address remote benefits/hires
      Check w/ Jessica T, she and Luis are doing this for themselves. Wait for insurance, could use MITemp for 1mo.

  • Arvind S + Distill : engage more broadly?

    • More structure to this process?

  • Term/summer internships? via the Press is fine.
    Interest: Jabari King (UL structures), Darius (UX design)

Underlay

News

  • Credibility indicators collab underway. (JeffJ, Credco, Sandro)
    ~ Related: proposal to inform via libraries w/ DPLA + Minitex (final rev.)
    + Update w/ CIVIC next week.
    + Tentative meeting on provenance implementations: March 1.

Schol+Patents

  • Patent Data Infrastructure proposal to Sloan
    ~ Includes NBER data hosting, Lens Lab. Drafting w/ Adam Jaffe.

  • Prior Art Archive: merging implementations this month.
    + Hiring (data + design). Steering update w/ Dan Lang + Kate.
    + Idea via Richard: joint search w/ Lens+ WIPO.

  • All-schol: AB excited about replacing Clarivate+. Richard needs a dev to help w/ data cleanup + transfer.

Other

History + Culture: Met followups on “cultural seed bank” w/ OL + Loic.
~ Review w/ Sanjay & MIT participants next Fri.
~ Joi comment + aside: 2D scanner for museums, for posters + other […] | talked to them about how to make the business work w/o IP.

PubPub

  • Society for Anthropology of Work: Win!

  • Review tool funding/ NFAIS

  • Crossref service provider

  • Hiring (Mo) (Ian arrives on Mon)

Arcadia: Proposal in progress for OA at the press.


February 8, 2019

KFG

  • Mozilla fellow?

    • yes, let’s

    • deadline 3/3

  • MMM event

  • Met x MIT x MS event recap: Coverage at MIT, in the WSJ and more.

Underlay

  • Prior Art: Ingesting data from new

  • Claire upate: not much; in internal holding pattern +1wk

    • Convene a provenance workshop?

  • Coalition links: MS= (check w/ D next week); CZI+ (Dario migrating)

PubPub

  • Crossref (notes)

    • Followups: SJ w/ Joe Wass (OA network support)

  • 2019 Content

    • Choice quote: “reinforcement learning is taking longer than expected”

    • Examples of works that get posted as “PDFs w/ a link” rather than pubs. —> Compare cost of conversion to PDF vs to Pub-complete version.
      a) format conversion cost a’) can the same PDF work automatically?
      b) staff cost (if a community) — worth amortizing for groups of titles from the same source? [if an interesting community, maybe worth subsidy]

    • Crypto journal: call-in for this afternoon?

  • Duke Visible Thinking

  • RTI Press


February 1, 2019

KFG

  • Collateral for upcoming conferences (what do we want? messaging?)

  • Returning water bottles

  • Moo cards for everyone

  • Proposal: KFG members + partners

Underlay

  • Prior Art: sent v2 documentation to Cisco yesterday, request to stress test

    • next: focus on UL-side visualizations for a few weeks

  • Advisors: Connected with Andrew McCallum’s knowledge lab: He wants to engage on federated knowledge graphs, and collaborate on open Peer Review [esp. for conference proceedings].

  • CIVIC: No update, need to nudge them + develop our own spec.

    • Progress w/ Alexios + the IFCN spec on hold until Feb 15

    • Hiring: draft a JD for news underlayers x2

  • Scholarly graph: Updated Lens proposal —> 1.5M: half to MIT, half to NBER + Lens-Australia. To confirm: grant admin options w/ Barak

    • No Dimensions data yet. New scripts from James w/ Aminer data

    • Community: Dhairya Dalal wants to get involved; links to Allen AI.
      Matt Grant is volunteering to help clean up Lens data.

  • Events: Andrew McC invited us to organize a half-day on federated knowledge graphs at his upcoming conference (May 20-21)

PubPub

  • WiP marketing

  • Frankenbook 2019 plans

  • 2019 content calendar

  • Hiring update

    • Deepak onboarding: all set

    • Ian status: should be ready to start Feb 18

    • Marketing

  • PubPub Advisors ( see advisors pub)

    • terry to work with Nick on an April meeting

Other

  • Affiliates?

    • adding them to the site

    • process for approving affiliates as a group

    • how do we define this?


January 25, 2019

Underlay

  • Lens: Richard Jefferson/Lens (scholarship graph) + Adam (patents)

    • Patent collab being drafted w/ NBER

  • Prior Art: v2 test Feb 1, sync w/ Cisco

    • Budget approval for Prior Art FTE + developer (IOs issued)

    • First underlay nodes in use

  • News: Civic + Int’l Fact-Checking Network (this wk, Feb 8)

  • Events:

    • W3C Standardization for Graph Data (Berlin, March 4-6)

    • DPLAFest (WikiCite + library graph, April 17)

  • Industry consortium

    • MS CTO + VP Jordi Ribas : glad to join an OS effort

    • Apple just hired MWeb CTO likewise interested, could lead an initial drive

PubPub

  • Hiring (update)

    • Dev: Ian in progress (full-stack dev)

    • Design: meeting with Deepak next week (UX/UI)

      • Contract design in progress (dataviz?)

    • Marketing: Pam Bracken in-person next week

      • Heather Staines (partnerships) visiting tentatively 2/22

    • John Whalen (discovery/interviews?)

  • Projects

    • HDSR (project management & dataviz [status?]; Arvind meeting on 1/29)

    • Migrating to PubPub: In The Library With The Lead Pipe!

    • Ongoing: ALIFE, SNL, SIGGRAPH / Leonardo

    • Reinforcement Learning (Marie, Feb), Good Drone (Katie Helke)

    • PubPub 2019 content calendar (in the works)

  • Conferences (FY18/19):

    • Team signed up for AAAS. Discuss, order swag (team shirts? coasters?)

    • CNI St. Louis vs CNI ScholComm Symposium (UNC Greensboro): pursue CNI Spring Membership Meeting & punt on UNC event [TAE]

    • Future (for consideration): Triangle SCI19 (hosted by Duke), 10/13-17, Chapel Hill, NC (proposals due 4/24); Charleston, 11/4-8; Ithaka Next Wave, end of November (contact Heidi McGregor to propose a session)

    • Gabe @ CrossRef February 5

    • Catherine + Terry signed up for DPLAFest

    • iAnnotate deadline pushed back to February

  • Roadmap

    • This cycle: Editorial management feature specs

    • Next cycle: Tag & citation updates (for ALIFE, new Duke community, etc.)

    • After that: Export updates (needed for ALIFE)

KFG

  • Our own pub —> include versions of recent essays

  • Follow-on conversations re Impact models for different projects


January 11, 2019

KFG:

  • Hiring updates

  • People/partner updates?

  • Upcoming Conferences

    • List on KFG events page

    • CNI? 3/5, St. Louis

    • ADHO workshop proposal w/ Sarah Kember

    • AAAS plans?

  • Catalyst Fund application

  • Discourse?

Underlay:

  • News: FactTrack meeting + case study, Civic update Jan23
    Meedan meeting Mon 4pm,

  • Prior art: advisors, tag workflow

  • Collective knowledge IAP workshop next M/W

  • Wikidata meet next Tue

PubPub:

  • Gabe in town next week

  • Wired article (thank you for sharing w/ the MITP, Amy!)

  • HDSR

  • Meeting w/ Acquisitions team

  • John Whalen proposal?

  • OA org. meeting scheduled for next week

  • Alife

Comments
10
Catherine Ahearn: I asked for permission!
Samuel Klein: —-> + OKRs for our own roadmap next week?
Samuel Klein: Pitching?
Samuel Klein: To be added next week to: https://www.ailab.microsoft.com/experiments
Samuel Klein: Scholarship: raj proposal to make Lens a public Scopus alternative. Needs more discussion, + alignment w/ Scholia et al
Samuel Klein: By the undergrads involved!
Samuel Klein: And advisor to [Civic]
Samuel Klein: Possibly colocated w/ WikiCite, if we get a good venue + timing.
Samuel Klein: Jointly supported by CredCon, CUNY, and the North American Wikiconf
Samuel Klein: Hiring search: data science, backend dev
Samuel Klein: Proposed: Roger Martin @Qualcomm, Francis Gurry @WIPO
Samuel Klein: Bhaskar, Colleen Chien @USC, Richard@Lens, Scott Frank @ATT, Laura Sheridan @G